A school building with a chinese flag

6 steps to get a work permit as an international school teacher in China

China, with its rich culture and rapidly growing economy, has become an attractive destination for international school teachers. However, before you can start teaching in the Land of the Red Dragon, there are a few hoops you need to jump through, one of which is obtaining a work permit. This might sound daunting, but don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with a simple, step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the process.

Step 1: Secure a Job Offer

Before you can apply for a work permit, you first need a job offer from a school in China. This is similar to how you’d need a job offer before you could apply for a work visa in other countries, like the UK or the USA. The school will act as your sponsor during the work permit application process.

There are numerous job boards online where you can find teaching positions in China. Some popular ones include Teach Away, Go Overseas, and ESL Cafe. You can also reach out directly to international schools in China. Remember, it’s important to do your research and ensure that the school is reputable.

Step 2: Gather the Necessary Documents

Once you have a job offer, the next step is to gather all the necessary documents. This is akin to gathering your passport, bank statements, and other important documents when applying for a visa. The documents you’ll need include:

  • A valid passport
  • A health certificate
  • Your highest degree certificate
  • A criminal background check
  • Two years of post-graduate work experience
  • A TEFL certificate (if you’re teaching English)

It’s important to note that all these documents need to be notarised and legalised in your home country, and then translated into Chinese. This might seem like a lot of paperwork, but it’s a necessary part of the process.

Step 3: Apply for a Work Permit

With all your documents in order, you can now apply for a work permit. This is a bit like applying for a driving licence – you need to fill in an application form and submit it along with all your documents. Your employer will usually handle this process for you.

The application is submitted online through the Chinese government’s Foreigner’s Work Permit platform. Once submitted, it usually takes about 5 business days for the application to be processed. If your application is approved, you’ll receive a Foreigner’s Work Permit Notification Letter.

Step 4: Apply for a Z Visa

Once you have your Foreigner’s Work Permit Notification Letter, the next step is to apply for a Z Visa. This is the visa that allows you to work in China. It’s similar to the H-1B visa in the USA, which allows foreign workers to work in specialised occupations.

To apply for a Z Visa, you’ll need to go to the Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country. You’ll need to bring your passport, a completed visa application form, a passport-sized photo, and your Foreigner’s Work Permit Notification Letter. The visa application process usually takes about a week.

Step 5: Enter China and Apply for a Residence Permit

With your Z Visa in hand, you can now enter China! But you’re not quite done yet. Within 30 days of arriving in China, you’ll need to apply for a Residence Permit. This is a bit like applying for a Green Card in the USA – it allows you to live and work in the country long-term.

To apply for a Residence Permit, you’ll need to go to the local public security bureau in the city where you’ll be working. You’ll need to bring your passport, a completed application form, a passport-sized photo, your Z Visa, and a health certificate. The application process usually takes about 15 business days.

Step 6: Start Teaching!

Once you have your Residence Permit, you’re all set to start teaching! This is the moment you’ve been working towards – the chance to share your knowledge and passion with eager students in a new and exciting environment.

Teaching in China can be a rewarding and enriching experience. You’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture, learn a new language, and make a difference in the lives of your students. So, what are you waiting for? Start your journey today!

Take Your Teaching Career to the Next Level with The IQTS at UWE

Ready to elevate your international teaching career? The International Qualified Teacher Status (iQTS) programme at The IQTS at UWE is your key to unlocking a world of opportunities. With our Level 7 qualification, you’ll not only meet the stringent requirements of international schools but also enhance your professional development significantly. Join the ranks of educators who have seen a 50% increase in interview callbacks and a 45% rise in promotion rates. Say goodbye to isolation with a 300% boost in professional connections and gain a deeper understanding of global education systems, making you 65% more adaptable in diverse teaching environments. Plus, our flexible online study options ensure you can balance your career advancement seamlessly with your current commitments. Make Your Next Step and join the iQTS programme today to transform your teaching journey!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top