An international school building in singapore with tax-related symbols such as percentage signs and dollar signs floating above it

6 tax implications for international school teachers in Singapore

Singapore, often referred to as the Lion City, is a vibrant, multicultural hub that attracts professionals from all around the globe. Among them, international school teachers form a significant proportion. While the prospect of teaching in this dynamic city-state is indeed exciting, it’s crucial to understand the tax implications that come with it. This guide will delve into six key tax considerations for international school teachers in Singapore.

1. Understanding Singapore’s Tax Residency Status

Resident vs Non-Resident

First and foremost, it’s essential to understand the difference between a tax resident and a non-resident in Singapore. The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) classifies individuals as tax residents if they have been in the country for 183 days or more in a year. Conversely, those who stay less than this duration are considered non-residents.

Why does this matter, you ask? Well, tax residents and non-residents are subject to different tax rates. As a tax resident, you are taxed on a progressive scale ranging from 0% to 22%. On the other hand, non-residents are taxed at a flat rate of 15% or the progressive resident rates, whichever results in a higher tax amount.

Double Taxation Agreements

Another point to note is the existence of Double Taxation Agreements (DTAs) between Singapore and several other countries. These agreements ensure that international school teachers, like yourself, are not taxed twice on the same income. If your home country has a DTA with Singapore, you may be able to claim tax relief or exemptions.

However, the specifics of these agreements can vary, so it’s advisable to consult with a tax professional or do your own research to understand how it applies to your situation.

2. Income Tax on Employment Income

What Constitutes Employment Income?

In Singapore, employment income is not just your monthly salary. It also includes bonuses, allowances, benefits-in-kind, and any income derived from your employment. This means that if your school provides housing or covers your children’s school fees, these benefits will be considered part of your taxable income.

However, there are certain exemptions. For instance, transport allowances for travel between home and workplace, medical benefits, and compensation for wrongful dismissal are not taxable.

When to File Your Tax Return

Every year, you will need to file your tax return by 15 April. The tax year in Singapore runs from 1 January to 31 December, so you’ll be reporting your income earned during this period. If you’re new to Singapore, you’ll only need to declare the income earned from the date of your arrival.

Remember, late filing or non-filing of tax returns can result in penalties, so it’s important to mark this date in your calendar.

3. Tax Relief and Rebates

Qualifying for Tax Relief

As an international school teacher in Singapore, you may be eligible for certain tax reliefs. These are deductions that can be made from your chargeable income, effectively reducing your tax payable. Some of the common reliefs include Earned Income Relief, Course Fees Relief, and Parent Relief.

However, the eligibility criteria for these reliefs can be quite specific. For instance, the Course Fees Relief is only applicable if you’ve taken up courses, seminars or conferences that are relevant to your employment. So, it’s worth checking out the IRAS website or consulting a tax professional to see which reliefs you might qualify for.

Understanding Tax Rebates

Tax rebates, on the other hand, are a reduction in the tax payable. Unlike reliefs, rebates are applied after the tax payable has been calculated. Singapore occasionally offers tax rebates as part of its budget measures, so keep an eye out for these announcements.

Do note that while tax reliefs and rebates can help reduce your tax burden, they are not guaranteed and can change from year to year.

4. Goods and Services Tax (GST)

What is GST?

Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a broad-based consumption tax levied on the import of goods, as well as nearly all supplies of goods and services in Singapore. The current GST rate is 7%. As a consumer, you’ll be paying GST on most of your purchases.

However, certain goods and services are exempt from GST. These include the sale and lease of residential properties, provision of most financial services, and the import and local supply of investment precious metals.

Claiming GST Refunds

If you’re planning a trip out of Singapore, you might be able to claim a refund on the GST paid on your purchases. This is possible through the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). However, there are specific conditions to be met, such as spending a minimum amount at participating shops.

So, if you’re planning a shopping spree before your holiday, it might be worth looking into the TRS to see if you can get some of your GST back.

5. Property Tax

Property Tax for Homeowners

If you decide to buy a property in Singapore, you’ll need to pay property tax. This is an annual tax on property owners, based on the value of the property. The rate varies depending on whether the property is owner-occupied or rented out.

For owner-occupied properties, the tax rate is progressive, ranging from 0% to 16%. For non-owner-occupied properties, a flat rate of 10% applies. However, if your property is vacant, you may apply for a vacancy refund of the property tax paid.

Property Tax for Renters

If you’re renting, you won’t need to worry about property tax as it’s the responsibility of the property owner. However, it’s always good to double-check your rental agreement to make sure this is the case.

6. Tax on Overseas Income

When is Overseas Income Taxable?

As a rule of thumb, overseas income received in Singapore is not taxable. This includes overseas income paid into a Singapore bank account. However, there are exceptions to this rule. For instance, if your overseas employment is incidental to your Singapore employment, the income might be taxable.

It’s also worth noting that certain types of overseas income, such as foreign dividends and foreign trust distributions, are taxable if they are remitted to Singapore.

Claiming Foreign Tax Credit

If you’ve paid tax on the same income in both Singapore and a foreign country that Singapore has a DTA with, you may be eligible for a Foreign Tax Credit (FTC). This credit can be used to offset the Singapore tax payable on your foreign income.

However, the FTC is subject to certain conditions, such as the underlying tax requirement. So, it’s advisable to seek professional advice if you’re considering claiming FTC.

In conclusion, understanding the tax implications of working as an international school teacher in Singapore can be a complex task. However, with careful planning and a good understanding of the tax system, you can navigate these waters with ease. Remember, when in doubt, it’s always best to seek professional advice.

Enhance Your Teaching Career in Singapore with iQTS

While navigating the tax landscape as an international school teacher in Singapore, don’t let qualification barriers hold you back from career progression and global opportunities. The International Qualified Teacher Status (iQTS) Programme at UWE is designed to elevate your professional standing, increase your adaptability to international curricula, and connect you with a wider community of educators. With iQTS, you’re not just preparing for tax implications but also boosting your chances for promotions, salary increases, and a fulfilling teaching career. Make Your Next Step towards achieving your full potential with the iQTS programme.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top