Chalkbeat released its Pupil Voices Fellowship two years in the past to listen to from teenagers — in their have text — about the concerns shaping their lives and education. We’re thrilled to give this compensated essay-composing fellowship to general public school learners in New York Town and Newark, New Jersey for the duration of the 2023-24 tutorial calendar year.
I motivate candidates to examine the published pieces by our previous fellows. That is the finest way to comprehend what Chalkbeat fellows do.
This past yr, for illustration, Karen opened up about mastering English as a new language, and Ashally advised us what it’s like to really feel her native Spanish slipping absent. Dashawn recounted having difficulties for the duration of COVID lockdowns and then generating a program targeted on teen mental health, and Jasmine stated the painful and valuable techniques the pandemic impacted her significant college class. Enoch discussed his early and ongoing knowledge with code-switching, and Vanessa told us what it is definitely like to show up at her famous New York Metropolis large university.
You can browse far more pupil work listed here.
This coming college year, we will decide on a total of 6 fellows, 4 from New York City and two from Newark. We are offering the fellowship in the slide and again in the spring. Applicants can point out which semester they choose. The fellowship will be digital, with chances to meet in individual with staff members of our New York Town and Newark bureaus.
Fellows will acquire a $1,000 stipend.
- You are a increasing 11th or 12th grader in New York Metropolis or Newark, New Jersey, and attend a community college or a charter university.
- You are intrigued in journalism and storytelling.
- You can regulate your time, meet deadlines, and are eager and in a position to commit 1-2 hrs a week to this extracurricular fellowship for about three months.
- You have persuasive personal tales to share and are prepared and equipped to share them on Chalkbeat below your byline. (First Person does not publish nameless or pseudonymous parts.)
- You are collaborative and eager for suggestions on your producing.
Student Voices fellows will:
- Pitch, create, edit, and publish personal essays.
- Brainstorm, outline, and workshop your items together with Chalkbeat journalists and crafting coaches.
- Show up at Zoom periods with journalism educators and Chalkbeat employees about the craft of reporting and creating. You will also have obtain to a library of recorded journalism classes from reporters and editors.
- Enhance your storytelling skill throughout formats and platforms.
Programs are due Friday, September 1, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
If you have queries not answered below, please electronic mail [email protected].
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization dedicated to covering 1 of America’s most significant tales: the work to boost universities for all young children, specifically those who have historically lacked obtain to quality instruction. We are mission-driven journalists who consider that an impartial nearby press is vital to making certain that schooling increases. Now in 8 spots and increasing, we search for to provide deep area coverage of education and learning coverage and observe that informs choices and steps, leading to far better universities. Study far more about our mission and values. We are committed to a diverse newsroom. Read through our antiracism assertion.
To find out about the courses we have on offer: Click Here
Join the Course: Click Here